Dress to Impress to a Formal Affair

I have always prided myself for my extreme lack of vanity. I very rarely wear makeup (even lipstick) and I am usually caught dressed in jeans and tees even at the office with my hair in a ponytail (though I have since cut it short).

As much as I want to lead a low maintenance lifestyle, I do consider my husband’s standing. I know he would be proud of me no matter what, but I also know how important it is for me to make a good impression on his colleagues.

So far I have been able to drop out of every event hosted by the university where my husband teaches. I generally tend to avoid going to parties whenever possible because I really don’t like dressing up. I find it all cumbersome, a sentiment my husband also shares. I guess birds of the same feather do flock together!

Alas, we cannot pull the same stunt this year because the new university president had explicitly required all teaching and non-teaching staff to attend their Annual Christmas Party together with their partners. That means I have another party schedule next month on top of the three at my own office. I really am in trouble now, aren’t I?

Unlike those organized in my office, this university event is a formal affair. Oh Lordy, this means yeobo is to wear a tux (which he detests!) and I a long evening dress. Ugh!

Since there is no getting out of this, I might as well look for inspiration for what to wear. Good thing I have leisurely browsed the net last week for evening dresses and here are the two that caught my eye.

This pink number looks really cute. I love the princess silhouette and the Grecian appeal. I love the overall look. But I need to change the color; I really don’t like pink.

I usually stay away from mermaid dresses because I find it difficult to walk in them. However I love that this dress flairs way above the knee so walking would not be a problem. I also love the pop of color. This shade would not drown me in the sea of black, white and grey most are bound to wear to the event.

I still have not decided which one I’m going to wear. What do you think?

BuyBlogReviews.com

Tags: ,

Category: My Thoughts

Comments (37)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Marie says:

the pink one looks really elegant (although maybe it is just me because I love pink hihi), but if I want to try to hide my lovehandles and curves in the wrong places, i would go with the darker one (and hey there is no curve spanx cant fix)

2. Mylene says:

I agree, the pink (i though its peach) is cute. But choose a more mature color :)

Pareho tayo, I am not fond of going to parties especially those requires formal attire. I find the preparation very tiring and I don't have much clothes to wear. I am in simple shirt/blouse and middle-length skirts. I remember myself with your getup going to the office. I used to be like that :)

• ladymoxie says:

I thought it was peach too but the website said it's pink. I agree; just the thought of enduring the whole hair and makeup session tires me already.

3. verabear says:

I like the first dress. I've always like grecian inspired gowns, but I've never tried on one. I don't dress up a lot too, but that's because of my size. Lately, I've been buying more on more clothes in styles I didn't wear before (i was always just wearing jeans and shirts/polo shirts) and I find that i like it. :)

4. verna says:

I adore the pink one, it's so "princessy" and grecian at the same time. It's too cute. The mermaid dress is fierce. It's like a battle between looking cute and looking sexy.

5. aby_c says:

i love both of the dresses.. if you want to feel sexier choose the emerald but if you want to be elegant and carefee choose the pink dress.. update us! XD

6. I love the pink one but I wonder if I can wear it myself…

7. wow those gowns are fabulous. :)

8. i love both dresses too, very elegant.

9. Olga says:

Love the pink one! I love frilly and flowy dresses coz they make me feel so feminine. Besides, I'm too short to be able to pull off wearing the green mermaid dress. :P

10. Krizza says:

I like the second one but I love a different color though. probably mint green, powder blue or lavander.

11. Jhari says:

Love both too. But go for the pink. That dress reminds me of JLo's attire from the movie "Main in Manhattan", when she went for a ball.

CE 11/20

12. If I am to choose between the two, I'll go with the pink number. But it's really up to you. Just be sure to choose the one you are more comfortable with. They're both lovely dresses, anyway.

13. sanna says:

I would love to be inside that pink gown. But I would suggest the second dress for an evening event. I love dressing up! I only dont have occasions to attend too.
    sanna recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chips Mini MuffinsMy Profile
    sanna recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chips Mini MuffinsMy Profile

14. max says:

those gown are lovely, if i will be to choose i like the pink one

15. henrysmom_ditas says:

I love the pink one. Its very classy.

16. I like the green dress. Light pink wash out in the light. I hate dressing up too btw. I don't wear make up to work. A touch of gloss is all but more often it's petroleum jelly to soften my dried lips.

17. Pinay R. says:

I love the pink one… but since I am big this is not for me. I am lucky this year, I can get away from a formal dress for our Christmas party!

18. Andrea says:

both dresses look fabulous. i hope i could wear one someday

19. tyna says:

Pick the pink one. It's flowy and dreamy and any woman will feel beautiful in that.

20. Louise says:

I like the Pink one, it's very elegant and girly too! :)

21. Lady Anne says:

I love the first one, the design is so girly! You can have it in dark colors, midnight blue or burgundy perphaps.

22. chamimay says:

i like the first one too… but yeah, probably in a different color… :-)

23. RonLeyba says:

Nice dresses. Looks formal and elegant for girls.

24. cazzapoeia says:

I like the pink dress! It seems as if it's made of petals!

25. Lady Anne says:

I love the first one. You can have it dark colors for a formal event in the evening, in midnight blue or burgundy perhaps. :)

26. Rose says:

I love the pink evening gown. I think it flatters the body more.

27. yashirokuru says:

The pink one brings out the beauty even more.

28. sikat101 says:

Whichever you choose, I think you are going to stand out. I prefer the first dress though.